Chance For Skilled Workers To Get Degree

The Ministry of Human Resource is discussing with the Ministry of Higher Education ways of enabling outstanding trainees from Industrial Training Institute (ILP) to obtain university degrees via special bridging programmes.
“We are now working towards upgrading the skilled qualification for trainees after they have completed Level 5,” Human Resource Minister, Datuk Wira Dr. Fong Chan Onn told reporters after the earth- breaking ceremony of ILP Miri in Bandar Baru Permyjaya yesterday.

The move, he pointed out, would add more values to the training provided by all the training institutes.
“This means that the trainees from the training institutes will have the option of completing their tertiary education.”

Dr. Fong, was however, quick to point out that the special programmes would not overshadow ILP’s sole aim of producing enough skilled workers for the nation’s industries.

“According to the international norm, 95% of the trainees will remain as skilled workers while the remaining 5% will aspire to have higher education; for example, there are supervisors who will want to become skilled engineers.

“These are the people who will welcome the bridging programmes which will allow them to complete their tertiary education.”

Asked whether the industrial training institutes would open their doors to international students, Fong replied it would be difficult for Government- run institutes to do so.

“Most of the institutes run by the Government offer free training to enable more locals to acquire skill training. It will not be practical to open these institutes to international students.”

However, Dr. Fong said the Ministry was encouraging private learning institutes to take up the initiative of offering such courses to international students.

“We are in the process of preparing a Cabinet paper to internationalize training programmes in order to complement the government’s efforts of making Malaysia hub for educational excellence.”

Earlier, in his speech, Dr. Fong said the Ministry was in the process of enhancing the quality of courses offered to ensure that trainees meet the demand and requirements of the industries.
The Ministry, he added, was encouraging E- learning and distance learning to enable students to study at their own pace and convenience.

Meanwhile, the ILP Miri project in Bandar Baru Permyjaya, to be undertaken by Naim Cendera Holdings Bhd (NCHB), will be implemented in two phases.

Phases I and II of the project worth RM110 million while the supply of machinery and equipments will cost the Ministry RM100.

Phase I of the project will include the construction of the administration block, lecture hall, cafeteria, grand hall, staff accommodation, hostels while Phase II will involve the construction of workshops for the various disciplines.

Work on Phase I commenced August 5 this year while Phase II will start at the end of next year.
The entire project is expected to be completed by February 6,2006. When completed, it will be able to accommodate 600 trainees.

Among those present at the ceremony were Assistant Minister of Infrastructure and Communication Development, Lee Kim Shin, Miri Resident Ik Pahon Joyik, Director General of Human Resource Department; Dato’ Haji Mohd. Nawi Haji Ahmad, NCHB Chairman; Datuk Abdul Hamed Haji Sepawi, and CEO of NCHB Datuk Hasmi Hasnan.